Thursday, April 8, 2010

They like me, they really like me.

I had a really good day in clinical today. My nurse preceptor told me that a patient I had earlier this week who was very particular and somewhat demanding had told her that she was very complimentary of me. YEA! She said that she was very comfortable around me and did not have any problems with me providing her care. Stuff like that always makes you feel good about what you are doing. The thing is, is that I didn't think she was really that demanding or particular. She just wants to be comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. I have to admit that I pretty much see all of my patients in the same way. Once today my preceptor was telling me about a new client that she thought was going to be difficult to take care of. I went in to the patients room with the nurse and admittedly the patient was a little rough around the edges. She stated in a demanding tone that she wanted a bath. While I was a little put by her tone of voice, I could only think about what she must be going through right now. Who knows why she is demanding? After attending to this patient for a short time, I think that with a little more time with her that I could get her on my side as well.

Later today I was able educate a clients family about the importance of wearing protective clothing (gown and gloves) when entering a possibly infectious room. A couple of my peers were with me and they had started the conversation with the family, but the family was obviously not interested in gowning up. When the opportunity came for me to say something, I think my peers were impressed with my ability to convince the family that the protection may be worth the time and effort.

Kudos for me today.

Today was a good day. I hope I have more like this.

-DV

No comments:

Post a Comment